Like many things
I have found in my graduate studies, the move to digital isn't all that
different from traditional print. The same is true for digital
portfolios. The goal is still to create a space "that house
students' work of mastery and personal bests" (Renwick, 2014). The
predecessor just happened to be a manila folder or three ring
binder, while the current choice is a digital space like a Wiki. Yes,
one has strengths were the other has weaknesses (digital portfolios are harder
to “lose), but when considering the nuts and bolts of the undertaking, many of
the elements are consistent.
I think both
authors acknowledge that moving to a digital platform can present challenges
for the teacher as well as the student.
“When [humans] are confronted with a novel assignment, they often ask
even more questions than usual, and those questions help [us] create a better
assignment: more focused, more student-centered” (Kabodian, 2013). Both Renwick (2014) and Kabodian (2013)
highlight that the transfer from idea to implementation brings up unforeseen
pitfalls. These might be a lack of student’s
motivation or persistence, assessing the writing portfolio can become a
daunting task for the teacher, technology/apps might fail or may not work out
as expected, and while imagination and creativity can drive the process,
students often need more direction from teachers. However, these pitfalls lead to flexibility
and adaptation. I have found, as did
both authors, that when we encounter issues like this to not be discouraged,
but use them as opportunities to tweak the framework. “having our [students]
see [us] struggle may have made it easier for them to admit that they too
sometimes flounder”(Renwick, 2014).
Modeling, both successes and drawbacks, is a great way for our students
to learn how we problem solve.
The skeleton of
both readings outline how we want portfolios to become a place where students
connect, analyze and reflect on their work.
This can be as a performance portfolio or a progress portfolio. Through her objectives derived from the
Habits of the Mind, Kabodian (2013) found that while documenting progress had
been one of the goals, it wasn’t on the rubric.
But as “anyone who has been in the classroom for some time knows that
assessment for learning and assessment of learning don’t always have a clear
distinction” (Renwick, 2014). So, while Renwick devotes one chapter to
performance and one to progress, a teacher must accept summative can become
formative and vice versa.
Renwick mentions
SAMR model of technology integration. I
found this video very helpful in visualizing what the acronym stands for –
Ideas for the Classroom
For the past two
school years, my school has been trying to move from the computer lab to
integrated technology. To be honest, it
hasn’t gone well. From my perspective,
teachers were not given a framework (like Renwick’s (2014) 4 C’s) nor did we have
a clear vision of what the process would lead to. Bottom line, everyone has been frustrated,
and after two years of countless meetings and discussions, this video was
finally shown and many teachers said, “Oh, I see why using Google Docs as a
word processor isn’t really integrating technology.” Hindsight being 20-20, I really wish our
technology committee has a Matt Renwick who understood that implementation
takes time, which may need to begin with the very, very basics! So, I hope this video helps some of you who
are trying to explain digital literacies to your peers.
Ideas for the
classroom:
1. We are a
Google school (or trying to be J) and I love the idea of using the comment
feature with students. Not only for me
to the student, but student to student. I
believe there is real power in students reflecting on each other’s work because
it can translate into reflecting on their own.
2. Renwick (2014)
mentions using Edmodo badges. We use
Edmodo but not to its fullest. Next
year, I want to implement the use of badges on the platform. I think my students will enjoy it as must as
I am this summer!
3. Being a sixth grade teacher, I am expected to
have grades for my students, but I see how grading writing portfolios can lead
to student discouragement. I want to
continue to brainstorm ways, in addition to badges, to provide feedback to my
students and submit grades to my principal. The framework of our writing
program is the 6 +1 Writing Traits, which has a great rubric for assessment
(Here is an overview - 6 +
1 Traits). I am thinking I will use
this as a basis for a student generated rubric to assess writing.
4. Being a Google
school, our students have access to their documents until they leave (after sixth
grade). I want to find a web-based tool,
like a Wiki or Blog, that allows them to “take” their work with them.
References:
Kabodian, A. (2013). Reflecting on the move to digital writing portfolios. Retrieved from: http://digitalis.nwp.org/resource/5015
Renwick, M. (2014). Digital student portfolios: A whole school approach to connected learning and continuous assessment. Virginia Beach, VA: Powerful Learning Press.
No comments:
Post a Comment