The Mirror
Learning Event Response -
Read and annotate Two Fusiliers by Robert Graves.
Review the following video by Michael Jackson.
Consider the meaning and aspects of reflection in the two texts. What common threads and elements are found across the texts? What truth do the two authors of these texts share about reflection? What is our role in this events? What role should our own reflections play as motivated by these texts? What truths and possible futures are only known in the reflection?
Play, create, and share a text of your own in which you capture what you see in your reflection. You might consider the reflection you see in the mirror as you brush your teeth, or a reflection of your digital identity. Consider the mystery, mythology, magic inherent in the mirror, and looking at our own reflections. Consider the power that is assumed as the mirror may possibly be able to take us to a new place.
My Response -
When I think of mirrors and reflections, I usually do it with vanity in mind. Call me Narcissus, but mirrors have always been about beauty or the lack of it. Did I get all of the toothpaste off my mouth in the morning? Does my hair look okay? Does this shirt really match these pants? I never used a mirror to reflect on my life, who I was, or who I have become. But, recently I have no choice. When I look into a mirror, I expect to see me 5 months ago. But, the present me is months pregnant with twins; a big difference literally. And while my past and present don't align in the anticipated reflection, neither does my future.
As I watched the video for Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror" I couldn't help but think of the man himself. He was never once in the video yet his image is iconic. He chose to use the images in the video to reflect the issues important to him - The Kennedy's, Martin Luther King, Jr., starving children in Africa, and so many others. I can't help but think of my mirror now in a similar fashion. It may not reflect the exact image I want, but it reflects what is important - the growth of my family. Continued in Robert Graves's "Two Fusiliers," I couldn't help but think of how the mirror shows what we are bound to. As he says "Show me the two so closely bound." Just as I will be bound to these babies, they will always be bound to each other by the fact they are identical twins. They will be different humans with differing personalities, but when they look into a mirror, the reflection will show an unbreakable bond.
My vanity still keeps me from posting pictures of my pregnant belly. So my picture is not one from a mirror but it is the best I can do for another 4 (hopefully, 5 months).
As I watched the video for Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror" I couldn't help but think of the man himself. He was never once in the video yet his image is iconic. He chose to use the images in the video to reflect the issues important to him - The Kennedy's, Martin Luther King, Jr., starving children in Africa, and so many others. I can't help but think of my mirror now in a similar fashion. It may not reflect the exact image I want, but it reflects what is important - the growth of my family. Continued in Robert Graves's "Two Fusiliers," I couldn't help but think of how the mirror shows what we are bound to. As he says "Show me the two so closely bound." Just as I will be bound to these babies, they will always be bound to each other by the fact they are identical twins. They will be different humans with differing personalities, but when they look into a mirror, the reflection will show an unbreakable bond.
My vanity still keeps me from posting pictures of my pregnant belly. So my picture is not one from a mirror but it is the best I can do for another 4 (hopefully, 5 months).

No comments:
Post a Comment